Sunday, March 3, 2013

Fat Is The Enemy!!!

         My struggle with my weight began at a young age.I was born into a big family and I've made peace with the fact that I'll always be relatively big. I'm not an advocate of being bone thin. I love my curves and I love having flesh. But flesh does not translate to excess fat.
        I developed my bad eating habits at childhood as I'm sure did most of us. I have a sweet tooth, absolutely love biscuits and the largely carbohydrate Nigerian diet does not help matters. The real problem started when I was in Secondary School. I went to a military school and every term was tasking. We were also fed very little when  I first got in so whenever we went on holiday, I'd overeat cos I knew good food was a luxury I wouldn't be able to afford  in school.
       This all worked well and fine for me when I was a junior because I was regularly subjected to rigorous activities so all the weight would come off within 2 weeks of resumption. However, when I became a senior, there was no one to bug me  so the weight began to pile on . One fateful summer , my mum took a long trip and it was junk galore for my older brother and I. The consequences  were enormous. By the time my mum got back, I had put on so much weight that she told me " Better do something about this,I won't beg anyone to marry you o". And so the struggle began.
      After that, I tried diet  after diet to no avail. I lost a little weight along the line but I ended up gaining it back with interest. Eventually, I gave up. I told myself that I didn't mind being overweight and with this rationalization, I abandoned my quest.
      A few years later, my aunt came to live with us. She was obese and she was battling diabetes, cancer and hypertension. She  died in my room, on my bed. She was one of the most amazing people  I'd ever known and fat killed her.
      That was a major turning point for me. I decided that fat was not going to get the better of me. I was gonna keep fighting it and I was gonna win. I lost a huge chunk of weight while in Uni and I lost even more in law school. Today, I'm slimmer than I've ever been, I look younger than I did at 18 and I'm much healthier.
       When  I posted my before and after pictures, I had people asking me how I did it. I gave as much advice as I could but it didn't feel like it was enough. Then I made the decision to start this blog. Through this medium, I can narrate my journey, the ups and downs and explain what helped me lose weight and what didn't. I can also explain weight loss from a Nigerian perspective while on a diet of Nigerian food. I'm not a fitness expert and different things work for different people but I hope  that what worked for me will work for you too.
       That being said, I hope we have a fruitful journey with many success stories. This is not an attempt to make you thin, it's an attempt to help you stay healthy. Fat is the enemy! Let's fight it together. God bless you all.

                                                                                                                                                               Love Always...
                                                                                                                                                                Jay...

1 comment:

  1. hmmmmmmmm! Jolly baby, nice blog you've delivered.....keep it up!

    yeah! its very obvious that "FAT IS ENEMY".....lol

    ReplyDelete